Baked Beans with Smoked Sausage

Read...



When looking up recipes for a massive amount of keilbasa I had smoked in my smoker the day prior. This recipe came up. No photo, so I checked out all the ingredients..right up my alley..But then I normally don't look at the reviews unless it's a low number. With only a few reviews and some being very poor. I saw that the author of the recipe noted that the recipe was wrong. Having looked at that, then back on the ingredients and directions and realized the author said rice on the side. I decided to make it anyway. I used all ingredients and left out the rice. There's no way I could have added rice to my 6 quart slow cooker. NONE! It was filled to the brim. I cooked it on high for 5 hours, and took the lid off for the last hour, I made up a batch of rice in the rice cooker(2 1/2 cups uncooked rice and 3 1/4 cups water, dash of salt) when the rice was done, I added it to my sausage and beans. And served immediately. And my family just absolutely loved it. It wasn't over powering with heat (only 3 shakes of hot pepper sauce). Will make it again. I feel the recipe was intended this way. And not add the rice in the beginning. It would have been awful had I done so. I scooped out a bowl of the sausage and beans before adding the rice for myself and it was awesome with cornbread crumbled right in. YUM!! Hope my advice is taken. Do Not Add The Rice, make a pot seperate and then add at the end.

Ingredients

    2 slices bacon, chopped into ½-inch pieces
    1 sweet onion, chopped
    2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    ½ pound smoked sausage (I use kielbasa), sliced
    3 (16-ounce) cans pork and beans
    ½ cup ketchup
    ⅓ cup packed light brown sugar
    ¼ cup molasses
    2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
    2 tablespoons yellow mustard
    ¼ to ½ teaspoon hot sauce (I use TABASCO)

Instructions

    Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    In a Dutch oven, cook bacon until crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel-lined plate.
    Add onion to bacon drippings and cook until soft.
    Add garlic and smoked sausage and cook until sausage is browned.
    Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to a simmer. Place Dutch oven, uncovered, in oven and cook for 45 to 55 minutes, until thick.






Original Recipe Baked Beans with Smoked Sausage @spicysouthernkitchen.com