Skinny Mozzarella Sticks

Read...


These were delicious and not hard to make. My minor improvisations included: cutting the cheese sticks in half (so my 8 became 16) and using plain bread crumbs with about 2 tsps mixed Italian seasoning. I also followed the advice of several reviewers: First, I combined the flour/starch mixture with the breadcrumbs. It was a huge time-saver and didn't seem to impact the end result. I also tried both double & triple coating and found that a double coat was sufficient for my taste. When the batter got a little clumpy, I simply moulded the clumps around the cheese for a slightly thicker coat. This part was a little messy, but other than that, it wasn't too bad. I coated all of the sticks before frying and set them aside on a plate. This turned out to be great advice because the frying really only takes about 30 seconds, and if you turn your back for too long, the sticks will burn. I did not have any problem with cheese leaking out, and the end result was truly restaurant quality. I will definitely make this recipe again!

Ingredients

    1 large egg
    4 string cheese, halved
    8 wonton wrappers
    ½ cup marinara sauce (for dipping!)
    1 teaspoon olive oil

Instructions

    In a small bowl, whisk together egg and 1 tablespoon of water. Working one at a time, brush wonton wrapper with egg mixture.

    Place string cheese in the center of each wrapper. Bring bottom edge of the wrap tightly over the cheese, rolling from bottom to top until the top of the sheet is reached (be careful not to tear the wrappers).

    Add olive oil to a medium-hot skillet and cook the mozzarella sticks until golden brown and crispy (about 1-2 minutes)

=========================================================================