French Toast Bake

Read...



Honestly I can’t even say how many times I make this. I made a trial recipe in anticipation for house guests I had coming. It went well. um… realllllly well. This recipe is so delicious. I make my own authentic sourdough so it was a reallly good. I learned the hard way- you really do have to let the bread get stale or dry it out somehow- that was the only batch that was a little less tasty (it still got eaten). Plus the more dried out it is- the more aromatic when it’s baking. I made it when my house guests were here. AND I made a batch the day before they were leaving (driving back home) and I had this chilled for them to take. FYI- it tastes good cold AND reheated. This is going in my big recipe book as a keeper! Guess I have to keep making my sourdough.

Ingredients

    1 loaf sourdough bread (we used Pepperidge Farm loaf)
    8 eggs
    2 cups milk
    ½ cup heavy cream
    ¾ cup sugar
    2 TB vanilla

Topping:

    ½ cup flour
    ½ cup brown sugar
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    ¼ tsp. salt
    ½ cup cold butter, cut into pieces

Instructions

    Cut loaf into cubes and place evenly in a greased 9x13 pan.
    In a bowl, mix together eggs, milk, heavy cream, sugar and vanilla. Pour evenly over bread.
    Cover your pan with Saran Wrap and refrigerate overnight.
    Mix together flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl.
    Cut in butter with this mixture until crumbly and place in a Ziploc bag and refrigerate overnight as well.
    Take pan and Ziploc out when ready to bake. Sprinkle crumbly mixture evenly over the bread.
    Bake at 350 for 45 minutes to 1 hour depending on how soft you like it.

==========================================================================